Ancient Sepphoris

The site of ancient Sepphoris in the foreground, with a view of Nazareth in the distance. Photograph by Todd Bolen.

In ancient times, Sepphoris was called the “ornament of all Galilee. A prominent trade center, it was a one of the capital cities of Galilee and had a predominately Jewish population. Although it existed by the second century B.C.E., it was developed and gained prosperity under the rule of Herod’s son Antipas, around 3 B.C.E. Only three miles away from Nazareth, Jesus may have walked to Sepphoris to make a living as a carpenter. The ruins seen here show Nazareth just over a hill in the distance. The architecture at Sepphoris reflects a diverse history, including Babylonian, Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman influences. 

The site of ancient Sepphoris in the foreground, with a view of Nazareth in the distance.

Of or relating to ancient lower Mesopotamia and its empire centered in Babylon.

Relating to the Byzantine empire, which ruled the Eastern Mediterranean from the fifth century CE to 1453; its capital was Byzantium (modern Istanbul).

(adj.) Of or related to the empire founded by Turks at the turn of the 14th century C.E. and lasting into the early 20th century. (n.) One from that empire.

 NEH Logo
Bible Odyssey has been made possible in part by the National Endowment for the Humanities: Exploring the human endeavor
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this website, do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.