The Noah Mosaics

The Noah Mosaics in the Palatine Chapel (detail), 12th century CE, glass mosaic, Palatine Chapel, Palermo.

The Palatine Chapel completed in 1140 is a central part of the architectural complex of the Norman Palace. Commissioned by Roger II and dedicated to St Peter, the chapel is a mix of Byzantine, Norman, and Fatimid architectural styles. Craftsmen from three different religious traditions worked alongside each other and the texts in the chapel are written in Greek, Arabic, and Latin.

The Noah cycle starts with a family scene and the building of the ark and ends with the release of the animals from the ark and this scene of Noah’s sons finding him asleep and uncovered.

Noah-PalentineChapelMosaics

Relating to the Byzantine empire, which ruled the Eastern Mediterranean from the fifth century CE to 1453; its capital was Byzantium (modern Istanbul).

of or relating to Moses or the writings attributed to him.

 NEH Logo
Bible Odyssey has been made possible in part by the National Endowment for the Humanities: Exploring the human endeavor
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this website, do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.