Image

Jeremiah

Claus Sluter, Well of Moses, Prophet Jeremiah, 1395-1406.

The Well of Moses is a monumental sculpture by the Dutch artist Claus Sluter. It was made by Sluter and his workshop between 1395–1403 for the Carthusian monastery of Chartreuse de Champmol. The monastery was built as a burial site by the Burgundian Duke Philip the Bold just outside the Burgundian capital of Dijon. It was carved from stone and originally had a tall slender cross atop a hexagonal base which was surrounded by the figures of the six prophets who had foreseen the death of Christ on the Cross (Moses, David, Jeremiah, Zachariah, Daniel and Isaiah). It is suggested that Sluter used his patron Philip the bold as the model for Jeremiah. Champmol was heavily looted during the French Revolution and extensively demolished under Napoleon but the bottom section of the well, the prophets, survived. Today the buildings house a psychiatric hospital but the Sluter sculptures can still be seen there although most of the artworks of the monastery have been dispersed.

Jeremiah-Sluter

 NEH Logo
Bible Odyssey has been made possible in part by the National Endowment for the Humanities: Exploring the human endeavor
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this website, do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.