Jerusalem: Stepped stone structure

The “stepped stone structure” in area G, at the “city of David” dated by K. Kenyon to Iron Age II (1000–900 B.C.E.). Jerusalem, Israel. Photograph by Todd Bolen.

The so-called stepped stone structure is a curved, 60-foot-high narrow stone structure built over a series of terraces. It was first excavated in the 1920s by R. A. S. Macalister and is located on the eastern side of the City of David, the oldest part of Jerusalem. A casemate wall adjoins the structure from a northerly direction at the upper levels and may have been one of the original city walls of Jerusalem.

The “stepped stone structure” in Area G from the excavations at the City of David (view from the north).

An ancient city wall that was hollow, often housing inhabitants, rather than built of solid stone.

Dug up, often from an archaeological site.

The stage of development during which humans used iron weapons; in the ancient Near East, approx. 1200 to 500 B.C.E.

 NEH Logo
Bible Odyssey has been made possible in part by the National Endowment for the Humanities: Exploring the human endeavor
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this website, do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.